From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Wayne Driscoll
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:41 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Workload move from z/OS to z/Linux

I realize that this isn't a place for submitting requirements, but here
is something that could be useful for some customers who have zAAPs (or
maybe even zIIPs) is if IBM would allow a zAAP (zIIP) only LPAR and have
the processer be treated as an IFL for that LPAR.  Why would this be
useful?  I currently have a z9 BC machine with 2 cp's and a zAAP.  Due
to my workload, the 2 CP's are running around 90% busy, while the zAAP
is only running at about 20% utilization.  Now my management wants to
move workload to Linux.  I want to show that Linux on system z is a
viable option, but I can't try it out without either 1 - further impact
the 2 heavily loaded cp's, or 2 - get 125K from management to get an
IFL.  However, if I could have share the zAAP with a new zAAP only LPAR,
I could run Linux (either bare or under z/VM) on the currently
underutilized zAAP.  Management sees it is a good thing, then gets
addition IFL's.  IBM keeps the workload on z, so they (and their
shareholders, of which I happen to be) both win.

Wayne Driscoll
Product Developer
JME Software LLC
NOTE:  All opinions are strictly my own.