While Linux can be installed in an LPAR directly, there are considerable
advantages to running your Linux images beneath z/VM as a hipervisor.

The first is a common interface to all the consoles. Each is just a virtual
3215 console terminal, with access gained by logging into the Linux guest
userid,  or if you're only interested in the messages, you can SET SECUSER
to see them on your own userid.

Another is the availability of CMS to create service machines. We have a
cloning server that allows us to quickly create new Linux images, we use
DirMaint to control the CP Directory, allowing us to control our DASD farm
and Linux guests, and we have RSCS and PVM to make use of CSE to allow our
two z/VM systems to act in unison.

Speaking of DASD, when using an LPAR directly, your allocation granularity
is at the device level; 3390 mod 3, 9, 27, 54,,, Using z/VM's CP Directory
allows you to allocate much smaller units. We allocate a 125 cylinder /boot
disk to each Linux image, and then use LVM to manage the rest of the guest's
disk space. We use 3390 mod 27 devices, but tend to allocate in mod 9'ish
quantities for most purposes. We're looking at mod 54 devices because we're
running out of device addresses, and making this transition is much simpler,
and less costly in terms of space, in z/VM than it would be in a strictly
LPAR environment.

There are a number of other reasons to prefer z/Vm over LPAR installations,
and I'm sure others will cover them, but these will get you started toward a
decision.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55                200 First Street SW