From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:35 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: z/LINUX DB/2 pricing?

On Wednesday, 02/13/2008 at 12:10 EST, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Alan
> Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -snip-
> > If you license it on your CPs, you will pay $386 x 100 x 4 = $154,400.
 If
> > you buy an IFL for $125K, you will pay $22,500 for a new z/VM license
> > (using STG value unit metrics) and $38,600 for DB2 (using SWG
metrics),
> > for a total of $186,100.  It's cheaper to buy it for your CPs, but not
by
> > much.
>
> And that's if you're silly enough to pay list price for the IFL.  Not
too many
> people do that I'm aware of.  The downside of course is the second z/VM
LPAR
> and all that entails in the way of infrastructure and care and feeding.
>
> With the current z/VM pricing model, wouldn't the 5th license come
cheaper than
> that?  (I forget where the price breaks are positioned.)

Thanks for the nudge.  The price drops at 4, 7, 10, 13, 17, 21, and 26
processors.  Since Tom already reached the first plateau of savings, he
only pays $20,250 for the extra z/VM license, not $22.5K.

Remember, too, that the number of processors you run z/VM on is calculated
on the *enterprise* level, not by CEC (box) or customer number.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott