When I set up my hipersocket network between two z/VM LPARs, I went to
the networking people and got a 10.x.y.0-255 segment for my own use.
They promised not to let anyone else use it in the rest of the network.

/Tom Kern

Frank Swarbrick wrote:
When setting up the IP address for a hipersocket I am curious as to if people
are giving it the same IP address as with the regular outside of the mainframe
(OSA or whatever) IP address.  We have TCP/IP stacks with hipersockets running
on VSE, Linux and z/OS.  On some of the VSE stacks we use the same IP address
for the hipersocket as we do for the OSA.  On a few other VSE stacks we give
them separate IP addresses, and we do the same (different addresses) for all of
the Linux and z/OS stacks.  How do other places do it?  And is there any
particular reason?

I'm only an applications developer, so I don't really know what all of the
'systems' type issues there might be to prefer one over the other.  Seems to me
it would be nice not to have two different addresses so that you don't have to
remember to use one when coming from the outside world and another when coming
from another system residing on the same mainframe.  But there also may be some
very good reasons for this type of separation.

Thanks,
Frank