>From the knitpicking gallery: rather than "best practice" I would call
it "common practice"

I see some similarity with a recent discussion about allocation of
cylinder 0 as page. We know that CP does not mind and there should be
no issue. Still, for several good reasons people tend to avoid doing
this. And one of the reasons is that it makes people frown and ask
questions each time when there's a problem. You lose valuable time
explaining it (or even change it) each time before you can focus on
the real cause of the problem.

But there may be very good reasons to deviate from common practice.
Some of my systems at home have a different subnet mask for the same
LAN segment; it's not common practice, but in my case best practice
;-)

-Rob (an now back to my cage again)