From: Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Tom Duerbusch
Sent: Wed 4/2/2008 11:09 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Oracle instances

Right now, we would mean 50 virtual machines (each perhaps 2 GB memory) with
the usage still wouldn't swamp a single IFL.  And, these are coded queries.  No
dynamic "queries from hell".  We just "can't" have that many users.  Currently
we have 204 PC type database servers and we only have a few thousand PCs.  I
figure it comes down to 20-30 possible users per database with the very fast
majority of them, occasional users.

So, I have been planning for about 5-7 production servers such as:
1.  First shift server (most City functions end at 5 PM)
2.  6 AM to midnight server
3.  Near high availability
4.  Convention Center (their usage and uptime requirements based on the current
conventions)
5.  Courts system
perhaps a couple other "weird" ones

Plus their test systems, development systems.

Right now, the only reasons I can think of, for having dedicated servers are:

1.  Very high utilization along with performance requirements
2.  Political
3.  Some idiot designed things that every user needs DBA authority, hence would
have access to all other applications tables.

In large mainframe shops (not that we are one of them), I've only seen a few
database servers running to support all their applications (outside of the PC
servers).

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> Rich Smrcina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/2/2008 9:22 AM >>>
Do you mean 50 virtual machines or they want to put it back on real servers?

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
> We are in the prep stages to convert an application over to Oracle 10g on
> zLinux.  Finally....
>
> I'm now hearing requirements that the application will be on its own,
> dedicated, instance.
>
> We are trying to keep away from that.  It could be that the Oracle type is
> thinking more about PC type servers than mainframes.  If there is a valid
> reason, we can make it happen.  But I do worry about ending up with 50+
> dedicated Oracle servers, each serving a dozen or so users, each.
>
> Or course, if the database structure and/or the queries are poorly designed,
> then having most of the database in the SGA, can hide a lot of performance
> problems. <G>
>
> So, who has some guesses on valid reasons for having one application per
> Oracle instance.  Again, a dozen or so users, the tables occupying about 1-2
> GB in total.
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting
>
> Law of Cat Acceleration
>
>   A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
>   ready to stop.

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2008 - Chattanooga - April 18-22, 2008