You know, I've seen this kind of thing result from having, for example,
dns (or nis) listed before files in nsswitch.conf, and then the dns
server becomes unavailable.

right:
                hosts:  files dns

wrong:

                hosts:  dns files

Note this effect can be duplicated (when the dns server becomes
unavailable) if you have fully-qualified domain names listed in certain
configuration files and only the short name (or no name at all!) in
/etc/hosts, even if nsswitch.conf is right.

ok
r.