Ian S. Worthington wrote:
ext2 .v. ext3:  I choose ext2 as the system I'm using is slow: glacially so.
What's the performance cost in going to ext3?
It's not much. Think about using an external journal to a dedicated
model1 dasd to speed things up a little.
If performance is a strong concern, adventurous minds may also
consider to journal to a vdisk. In case VM keeps running, the journal
should be okay. In the worst-case, you'll have to run a file system
check as with second extended and recreate your journal.

cheers,
Carsten