I promised to share what I found out about CAesm that caused all this to
begin with. I did not find out all that much but here is what I
determined:

I traced the problem to the following statements in nsswitch.conf

passwd: CA_esm compat
group:  CA_esm compat

We had no network connectivity at this point so CAesm could not
authenticate out. This is understandable. However, I was disturbed that it
prevented us from even logging on to a VM Linux console.

I came home and conducted some tests. This problem is easily duplicated. I
reviewed the CA_esm.conf settings and did some experimenting but could not
find any combination that forced a timeout where the prompt would appear.
I ended up opening an issue with Computer Associates to see if they can
provide any solutions.

In the meantime, booting up in single user mode should work fine in the
interim.

I wish there was more. Thanks to everyone that contributed. Enjoy the
weekend.

Peter

Peter E Abresch/EP/PEP
04/07/2008 07:45 PM

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: Linux Guest recovery at Sungard not going well

Bingo!, what an idea. We use LVM so I simply detached all DASD except my
root and IPL my Linux guest. It was a mess but it did enter single user
mode and prompted me for a root password. I then logged on and
systematically disabled startups. It was not NFS that was the cause of my
grief but CAesm, which is CA?s External Security Manager ACF2 PAM
interface which we upgraded to version 12 since the last test. Once I
disabled CAesm and reattached my DASD, all was well. I get the logon
prompt and successfully reconfigured LINUX and rebooted successfully. Now
I got to figure out what is wrong with CAesm. Thanks to everyone.

I will post my final resolution.

Peter

"David K. Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
04/07/2008 05:08 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Linux Guest recovery at Sungard not going well

Peter,

Edit the VM file that gives permission's to the Linux guest to access your
VM disk.  Remove
the permission for one of the Linux guest to access the disk where the
/opt
file
system lives.

For us it's is disk 0202.  See below:

more /proc/dasd/devices
0.0.0202(ECKD) at ( 94:     8) is dasdc       : active at blocksize: 4096,
60084
0 blocks, 2347 MB

df -h /opt
/dev/dasdc1           2.3G  563M  1.8G  24% /opt

(This forces the Linux guest to boot into single user mode).
(Sorry, I'm a Linux person and not a VM person so don't know the correct
VM
speak for this)   Now do a hardware level reboot (#CP LOGOFF) for that
Linux guest.
and this will force the Linux guest to boot into single user mode.

In single user mode using a 3270 terminal you should be able to access
your
Linux guest console.  And now with a Linux prompt you can slow enable the
various
services  in run level 5 (/etc/init.d/rc5.d) and differentiate what is
stopping you from
getting a Linux guest network prompt.

Hope this helps and is not to confusing

David K.

             Ron Foster at
             Baldor-IS
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             om>                       LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             Sent by: Linux on                                          cc
             390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             IST.EDU>                  Re: Linux Guest recovery at Sungard
                                       not going well

             04/07/2008 04:34
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

Peter,

Did you bring a copy of your installation media?
Could you boot it and then look at your restored system?

How many NFS mounts are there?  Are you saying you
have waited 45 minutes and not gotten a message indicating
that one of your NFS mounts has been backgrounded or
timed out?

Have you tried setting up some system with the same
IP address as your NFS server, but not running NFS.
That way instead of timing out, you can get something
like connection request rejected.  (I forget the exact
message).  In some cases, this can hurry things along.

By the way, how did you backup and restore?

Ron

Peter E. Abresch Jr. - at Pepco wrote:
> We are at Sungard performing our yearly contingency test. Normally we
> restore our Linux DASD and IPL our Linux guest as a guest from Sungard?s
> z/VM system. We then logon to our Linux guest from z/VM, change the
> network configuration, reboot, and we are good to go. Usually we have to
> wait 10 minutes for NFS to timeout before receiving the Linux LOGON
prompt
> on the VM console. This has worked for us many times.
>
> However, this year, we never receive the LINUX logon prompt. Linux IPLs
> fine, everything seems ok, however, we do not receive the Linux logon
> prompt. We wait as long as 45 minutes but never see the prompt. Without
> the prompt, we cannot logon and make any changes at all?
>
> The z/VM directory used at Sungard is the same that we have used in
> previous tests. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.
>
> Peter
> This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
> proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright
> belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email
is
> intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.
If
> you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for
> delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified
> that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly
> prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately
> notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
> policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or
offensive
> statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by
Email