>>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at  9:03 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Felipe
Bannwart Perina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is there any utilitary I can use to check a disk and find out what (if
> any) VG that disk belongs to?
> The situation I have is: I have lots of disks here and I do not know if
> they belong to any VG.
> I thought on using LVM tools (pvscan, lvscan, vgscan....) but I'm not sure
> if they affect the disk in any way. Corrupting them could be disastrous if
> they're being used on a VG.

As others have said, pvscan is not going to modify anything.  The command, when
issued without any parameters, will give you exactly what you say you want:
# pvscan
  PV /dev/dasda2   VG vg01   lvm2 [6.82 GB / 3.32 GB free]
  Total: 1 [6.82 GB] / in use: 1 [6.82 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]