On Monday, 05/19/2008 at 01:26 EDT, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personal opinion time, doning Security Admin hat: There is NO way that I
> would allow a Linux system to directly access my z/OS datasets. Why? No
> ability to audit. No ability to restrict access and prove that access
> was restricted to authorized users (thinking of HIPAA data).
>
> Now, I __might__ consider it if only a very few z/OS volumes were even
> accessable from the Linux system and I could assure myself that the
> datasets on those volumes never contained any confidential information
> that might require auditing.

Or *might in the future contain* any auditable information.  You have to
build a lot into your deployment processes to prove due diligence if you
operate this way.  I get *particularly* nervous when we're talking about
z/OS data.

How can you programmatically know that a volume does or does not contain
auditable data?  You don't.  That means a very precise and controlled
process for application and data deployment.

And if the z/OS system is up and running, you have a real opportunity for
data integrity loss.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott