Along with security (which is a huge problem) a production quality native
file-system driver would have to deal with:

- serialization  (GRS/XCF enqueues with z/OS)
- support for z/OS catalogs
- support for dealing with variable length binary records.
- support for datasets with extents that span volumes
- VSAM, ISAM, etc.

To satisfy everyone, you would probably need a big chunk of MVS implemented
in Linux (or VM?)

On the topic of security - does anyone use NFS to share sensitive datasets
with Linux and have issues with delegating user-level security control  to
Linux?  Once the filesystem is mounted, you are trusting Linux to control
access to it.

Kirk Wolf