Malcolm Beattie wrote:
CHAPLIN, JAMES (CTR) writes:
On the zLinux guest (ZP013), using sar I get a CPU usage of about 15%:
[...]
But under Perfkit (zVM) we get the following exception message, 33.5%
CPU:

11:51:51 FCXUSL317A User ZP013 %CPU 33.5 exceeded threshold 30.0 for 5
min.
[...]
                                                            We have two
IFLs defined to the guest.
[...]
Why are the numbers from PERFKIT different from the zLinux environment?

PerfKit percentages are calculated as "percentage of one engine".
Linux percentages calculate "percentage of CPU resource available to
the image". For your Linux guest with 2 engines, Linux tells you it's
using ~15% of its 2-engines'-worth. PerfKit spells that as ~30% of
a nominally-100%-utilised single engine. Same resource usage,
different way of displaying the measurement.

Isn't that in the wrong direction? I'd expect 15% of two engines ~= 7.5%
    of one engine (.15x200 = .075x100).

If, however, Linux is reporting as if 1 engine and PerfKit is doubling
due to two engines, I could see your scenario.

Which is correct?

TIA
Kim

begin:vcard
fn:Kim Goldenberg
n:Goldenberg;Kim
org:State of New Jersey;Office of Information Technology (OIT)
adr:200 Riverview Plaza;;PO Box 212;Trenton;NJ;08625-0212;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Programmer I
tel;work:609-777-3722
tel;fax:609-777-3939