What I use, during install, is based on the "z/VM and Linux on IBM
System z: The Virtualization Cookbook" is:

        Software
                Detail Selection

        Search “redbooks”
                Actions, Select
                Accept
                Accept all other packages needed
        Patterns:
                Select Server Base
                Select 32 bit runtime
                Unselect all others  (changes 150 from 2,203,096K to
1,007,840K)
        AFGA license agreement
                Accept
        Automatic changes
                Ok

Accept

This gives me an installed system which uses 952,872  1k blocks on
dasda1.  That takes a lot of pressure off a 3390-3 volume for future
needed "stuff".

So far, I haven't missed anything vs having the default package
selection.l

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> "Peter E. Abresch Jr.   - at Pepco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/20/2008
10:05 AM >>>
I removed many packages and in affect, put my Linux guests on a diet.
Just
a few more questions:

I used local yum servers and YaST2 to perform all my maintenance and
product installations.

Can I remove the contents of the following which tends to grow. I
think
these grow whenever I change the installation sources and YaST2
performs a
sync by default.

/var/lib/zmd
/var/lib/zypp

We clone our Linux guests from a master guest which have already been
converted to SLES10-SP2. Once I have my other Linux systems upgraded
SP2, can I remove the following and stop mirroring these channels in
yup
since SP2 is a replacement?

/var/cache/yup/SLES10-SP1-Online
/var/cache/yup/SLES10-SP1-Updates

Are there any other DASD space saving ideas?

Thanks

Peter
This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This
Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.
If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.
PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or
offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by
Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit