We use DFDSS to do preliminary full volume backups of Linux volumes.  In
doing so, we have had a few problems backing up some of our mod-9's that
we setup as minidisks, as opposed to dedicated.  For some reason, some
of our volumes will show a z/os dataset name such as
LINUX.VLX114B.PART0001.NATIVE, some do not show a z/os dataset name at
all.  It is the one that do not show a z/os dataset name, that we have
problems backing up.  When I do an fdasd with the P option on the
problem volumes, it looks like this:

Cylinders ............. 10016
Tracks per cylinder ... 15
Blocks per track ...... 12
Bytes per block ....... 4096
Volume label .......... VOL1
Volume serial ......... LX1047
Max partitions ........ 3

------------------ tracks -------------------------------
      Device       start     end   length    id   system
   /de/dasdc1          2  150239   150238     1   Linux Native

The S option shows me
Device .......... /dev/dasdc
Volume label .... VOL1
Volume serial ... LX1047

/dev/dasdc1  - LINUX.VLX1047.PART0001.NATIVE

How does that name get generated on the Z/OS side?
Why does it get generated on the Z/OS side for dedicated dasd, but not
for mini-disks?
How can I get it on the Z/OS side for the mini-disks?

Thanks