We have identified a situation where our Linux guests are generating an
unnecessary amount of IP traffic when doing DNS lookup.  The first DNS
query fails because it is using an unknown query type (28). The host then
begins appending domain suffixes to the queries which also fail since they
are still using a type 28 query. Once all of the domain suffix queries
fail, the host will then send a type 1 DNS request and receive a valid
response.  Our network only uses IPV4 so the type 28 queries don't make any
sense.

Has anyone else seen this situation?  We need to know how to turn off these
unnecessary queries.

Rick Barlow
Sr. z/VM Systems Programmer
Nationwide Services Co., Technology Solutions,
z/VM and System z Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  MB-02-201
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5213    Fax: (614) 249-3912
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]