On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Rick Barlow
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have identified a situation where our Linux guests are generating an
> unnecessary amount of IP traffic when doing DNS lookup.  The first DNS
> query fails because it is using an unknown query type (28). The host then

I have seen similar things with DNS servers that were not following
the RFCs close enough. The IPv6 enhancements for DNS (from late 80's)
specify very specific rules for the response on the AAAA query. The
proper responses in this case would be to return a "no, but do have
IPv4" and that would be settled in one more query.
Some servers are known to produce the wrong return code or try to
outsmart us in other ways (see RFC4074). I've had my share of servers
that override TTL or fail to see the difference between "no response"
and "response no" ;-) Some of that breaks things like negative cache
that is important to reduce DNS traffic.
Since we could not change the broken AIX DNS, we ran our own Linux DNS
that was authorative for our domain, it was easy to use the same DNS
servers as cached resolvers as well.

You might also want to rethink the use of (multiple) domain searches
in your DNS resolver. It may be that the YaST installer tempted you
into that. I see that more as a convenience to end-users, and expect
that it rarely plays a role in servers. Most things in servers are
done through FQN or just the host name in one single domain.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software