if it's vsftp, it  will strip "crlf"  to "lf"

 ascii_upload=yes/no

                "Edmund R.
             MacKenty"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             etsoftware.com>           LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
                Sent by: Linux                                          cc
             on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             IST.EDU>                  Re: SFTP versus FTP

                07/09/2008
             02:02 PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 13:00, Szwed, Tomasz A CIV USMEPCOM wrote:
> I have a file on Unix server.  When I transfer that file from Unix to
Linux
>using FTP - I'm getting file with the same size.
>When I use SFTP, I'm getting file smaller by 79 bytes.  The file has 79
>lines.
>That file is then FTP from Linux to z/OS - using FTP batch job on z/OS
> (using "get" command).
>The file which was FTP-ed (from Unix to Linux) can be read on z/OS, the
file
>which was SFTP-ed (from Unix to Linux) shows only first line.
>When I used "set list" command (vi editor on Linux) - I can see "$" (end
of
>line character) on both files (in the same column).
>
>1.  How can I find out which character is lost during SFTP process? (I'm
>assuming that some control character is lost).  How can I get that file
> using SFTP without losing any characters?

You can use the od (octal dump) command on UNIX or Linux to look at the
values
of each byte in the file.  Use the -c option to output printable ASCII
characters as themselves, carriage-return and newline as "\r" and "\n", and
other control characters as octal values.  For example:
             od -c myfile | less

>2.  Any other suggestion how to go around the problem? - I have to use the
>file which was SFTP-ed from Unix to Linux on z/OS (I cannot use the FTP-ed
>file).

Transfer the file in BINARY mode instead of ASCII.  Use the "bin" command
in
your FTP client to do that.
             - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software, Inc.
Newton, MA USA

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment
to it is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete
it from your system. Thank you.  NYSE Euronext, Inc.