On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> dasd(eckd): 0.0.0201: 3390/0A(CU:3990/01) Cyl:3338 Head:15 Sec:224

The 3338 cylinders suggests that you have (wisely) given the Linux
guest a mini disk starting at cylinder 1, so cylinder 0 is for CP to
do its thing. If that were not the case, I believe Linux had already
failed to find its partition ;-)
Apparently the person who formatted the disks in Linux decided to use
the same labels as CP was using for the real volume. The only real
requirement for the Linux volume labels is that they are unique in the
virtual machine. Some folks use the virtual address (which is the
default). But any scheme for that will do. I would not see a need to
go and change the Linux labels. You can verify the disks with
 vmcp q md 201 loc
and that will reveal the real volser and starting cylinder.