Mark Post wrote:
On 8/13/2008 at  6:32 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
Oh. Why does Red Hat default to using LVM?

Since I work in NTS now, I can engage in some educated speculation, but
speculation nonetheless:
- The people who made this decision were never responsible for supporting
hundreds of production servers in an enterprise
- It eliminated a lot of "nuisance" service requests because unsophisticated
users/system administrators (SAs) ran into problems using fixed partition sizes, and they
figured experienced SAs would never use the default anyway.
- The decision was overly influenced by the Fedora community who didn't want that kind of
"complexity."

The choice of LVM by RH predates Fedora by some years, it was in RHL 7.3
for sure, and I don't think it was new then.

- They just didn't know any better.
- I think you get the idea.

A lot of decisions that get made for defaults have little to do with what might be
considered "best" in the industry.  Mix and match as you choose.  The team I
worked on at EDS supported 800+ servers, almost all of them Red Hat.  We _never_ used LVM
for /.

I've never seen a benefit to using LVM on /, and whether I do so depends
 on how I install (ks vs manual). Until now, I've never seen any
suggestion that it's at all harmful, though I can imagine its use can
create the same sorts of problems the use of filesystems labels can.
Filesystems labels problems arise when one has one system and more than
one install, where the may be more than one filesystem with the same
name. The problem there is the (RH) implementation, not the use of
labels itself.

Linux doesn't care about duplicate names, it just uses the wrong one.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait