Mark Perry wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Gregg Levine wrote:

Hello!
Well for my Slackware Intel system, I have listed in there, Slackware
11.0, the command was:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/# cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 11.0

John is right. Of all of the distributions I've worked with, Slackware
does do things differently.
No.
The others do things differently: I may be wrong, but I think Slackware
predates the other current distros. See http://lwn.net/Distributions/

Thought....
wouldn't it be nice if another option were added to the uname command
that listed Distributor info?

Sounds like a good idea to me; I presume that the FSF accepts
enhancement requests: see http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/

It could at a minimum do the functional equivalent of "cat
/etc/distro-info" and each distributor could set a softlink to their own
existing files, or patches could be applied to uname to supply the info
"inline".

Then customers could do something like uname -V or uname -D and have a
consistent method of obtaining distributor information.

Are the GNU versions used in *BSD?

--

Cheers
John