I guess I should have been paying more attention to the list before I
added more DASD to one of my guests.  Yes, I have done exactly this,
except I compounded it.  Thinking I was smart, I mounted the disk to
another instance, changed the way it was mounted, to by-path, in the
fstab, and did a mkinit_rd and zipl.  Well, I shouldn't have done that.
Now, when it boots, it thinks it needs the dasd to the other instance.
Does mkinit_rd create a backup when it runs?  Is there a way back
without doing a complete restore?