>>> On 8/25/2008 at  1:28 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Dodge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I recently did a lvreduce on a 4.5GB logical volume by 2GB and created a
> second logical volume.  I never got around to recreating the file system on
> the original logical volume.  This weekend when the system got shutdown it
> died on the restart because of this.  It is running fsck and I have been
> looking at and clearing screens full of y for hours.  How long might this
> take and what are my options for punting.  I can recover the data so that
> isn't a concern.

If this is _not_ your root file system _and_ you get the zipl boot menu when
you start up your system, you should be able to boot into runlevel 1, then do a
"mkfs" on the logical volume.  Then do a "telinit 3" to get into run level 3
and restore from backup.

If this _is_ your root file system, then you're looking at booting from the
installation kernel, activating your DASD, getting to a shell, and running the
"mkfs" command.