From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
John Summerfield
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 9:03 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: 127.0.0.2 in /etc/hosts?

Fargusson.Alan wrote:
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.  The change that was made was to the name
for the host in /etc/hosts.  The name "loopback" should always have been to a
127.* address, and all the 127.* addresses should be routed to the loopback interface.

This entry:
   127.0.0.2       gpok189.endicott.ibm.com gpok189

could result in a successful lookup for gpok189 when a hardware problem
(fallen-out network cable) should cause it to fail (because BIND can't
be reached). That does not seem to me a good idea.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.