no don't pump up virtual machine memory or CP paging to fix this long term.
Short term do what you have to of course!
But in my experience Oracle interestingly enough is one of the best behaved
applications in a linux virtual machine.
A lot of this depends on the size of the database in the machine and the amount
and type of SQL coming at 'em.  Oracle has some
gizmo that will show you the worst/best performing SQL - take a careful look at
that!

How many databases are you running per virtual machine?

I have clients that have very trim Oracle virtual machine sizes, running most
at 512M to 1G.  This is for many medium size machines (horizontal).
Another client is running huge Oracle machines (several with over 1Tb db
sizes), so we let 'em have alot of memory, like 8Gb (vertical).
You must work with the DBA to work out your Oracle SGA size. Oracle SGA needs
to be smaller than virtual machine size.  There is some guidance for this.

If swap is at 99% then you need to look at increasing virtual machine size.

David