If you're just getting started, which means you don't have a lot of data, or
much production....

I first scale back Oracle's memory.
Under OEM:
Administration:
Memory Parmeters:
Change SGA to 200 MB
Change PGA to 16 MB

Define your virtual storage for the Linux machine to 600 MB and reboot.

Now scale the SGA down to 140 MB.  (I couldn't go directly to 140 MB, I had to
do it in two stages).

I've been watching my swap area with   "swapon -s".  Sometimes we do swap, but
it doesn't seem to be during the day.  There is an Oracle process that kicks
off about midnight, which needs more storage than during first shift.

With OEM running, I can't get Oracle to use less memory.  I guess OEM has its
pound of flesh to consider.  But getting our 6 Oracle machines down to the half
GB level, is the only way we could support 6 Oracle machines.  One production
(about 30 users and 1.5 GB in tables) with the others being test and
development machines.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Dinner Table Attendance

  Cats must attend all meals when anything good is served.

>>> Martha McConaghy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/29/2008 4:33 PM >>>
We have a bunch of Oracle databases running on SLES 10 in one of our z/9
partitions.  We are only getting started with this, so we don't much (i.e.
nothing) about tuning Oracle to be a polite guest in this environment and
our DBA is just as new to it.  He is getting advice from a vendor, but
I have no faith in that as they think a mainframe is just a big PC....sigh...

Anyway, we are looking at memory usage on these servers and things don't
seem right to me.  However, I know little to nothing about how Linux uses
memory.  One servers hows physical memory at 99% used, but actual is
only at 9%.  Swap is also at 99%.  Those numbers don't sound healthy.

What types of things can our DBA do to tune how Oracle uses memory or should I
just up its virtual storage and postpone the problem?  (Our CP paging is going
up dramatically too.)

Martha