Florian Bilek wrote:
I have successfully compiled QEMU on z/Series. I wanted to see what can be
done today in order to solve the urgent demand of having Windows programs on
z/Series.

QEMU runs here with Debian Linux under z/VM. I needed quickly the GCC in
version 3.4.x to compile the current version of QEMU.

With QEMU it is possible to run a copy of MS Windows Server 2003 on
z/Series. Of course it is slow, at least on the z/990 I am using. The
installation of Windows took about 8 hours but it worked without any
problems. This was the amazing.It is the same feeling as when you run
Hercules s390 emulator and see that z/Linux or z/VM is running on an Intel
processor. Incredible what software can do ;-)

I agree with some postings on this thread that the GUI is a waste of
z/Series power. But if you could install Windows 2008 Server Core then you
wouldn't have this overhead.

There is definitively a need of having native Windows programs on z/Series.
I experience this need every day in my organization and I cannot understand
why IBM is not providing a solution for that. IMO this would really help to
convince management to use z/Series for Server consolidation.

April 1 is about six months away.

--

Cheers
John