IANA IBM'er. However, I have been looking extensively into
virtualization as a means to save my company some serious GREEN dollars,
not funny money and not eco-dollars.

VMware also provides much of the same functionality, but only runs on
*IX based HW(Sun, HP,...). I do not think (and I could be wrong) that
VMware supports running on a z/box at all. The Mantissa offering is very
enticing to my company because of the consolidation opportunities.
However, at my last check, the economics did not seem to favor x86
consolidation on z. The z/10 changed the numbers, but not enough to tip
the scale.
When accomplished, (via VMware or Mantissa VOS) the consolidation will
save us some serious money currently going to our disaster recovery
vendor.

I have no inside information, however, I would imagine the Mantissa
folks are writing a "virtual x86" to run under z/VM.

Regardless what IBM thinks about the viability of Windows as a mission
critical vendor, if it sells more z boxes, I am sure IBM will jump on
the band-wagon with both feet (and even push the wagon too!)

My opinion only, and not necessarily that of my employer.

<snip>
Subject: Re: How to virtualize Windows under SLES Linux on zSeries -
PJBR

Hello Alan,

I would like to come back on your statement:
<snip>
It's certainly
interesting from an academic perspective, but it doesn't meet the needs
of
business.
</snip>

I would really like to understand IBM's view on this issue. Is it from a
business point of view that Windows or Intel (x86) is not considered as
serious environment for running mission critical applications??
</snip>