On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Rick Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>   +) It automagically builds a initrd for every installed kernel in
>> /boot, unless given just a specific kernel by command line options.  Not
>> having mandatory options for mkinitrd is sweet.
>

> The latter is "okay".  The former is not.  (Listening Novell?)

I don't think it is "good" to rebuild the initrd for other kernels. It
is *not* helpful to modify my back-out configuration when I am
planning to upgrade the kernel. It just does not fit the change
control that some installations want to adhere.

I believe the 'uname -r' is fortunately back to include the dash-level
etc so /lib/modules is unique per kernel. Earlier releases would fold
all into a single directory and thus build an initrd with kernel
modules that were not compatible with the kernel.

> Abuse of INITRD is possibly the single worst feature of the current
> releases.  (RedHat abuses it too, and they were probably the first.)
> In the case of SuSE's mkinitrd tool, yes, it automagically pulls the
> current list of activated DASD subchannels, but that's NOT an advantage
> when you're running hundreds of identical penquins.

I already dislike the entire initrd because it creates additional
complexity that we don't need with Linux on z/VM. But even worse is
the mechanism to attempt building something that looks like my current
configuration (which may in some situations not be what I want, and
maybe the reason I wanted a new kernel to become active).

Rob