On 11/24/08 5:18 PM, "Shawn Wells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> My point exactly. A X-only UI is not an significant improvement. There needs
>> to be a curses version as well as the X version.
> We also have to perform iterative development -- making things work
> together first, then presenting the GUI in differing ways.  Should the
> Open Source community made tui/ncurses GUIs from the get go?  Probably
> -- but we need to start somewhere.

Since the text-mode part would run nicely in an xterm in a GUI, I'd say you
start there, but as you say, you're getting it for free, so you pretty much
have to take what you're given. I'd argue that RH's role should be to define
the basic tool architecture and interfaces and do the text-mode development,
and leave the X part to the community. The text mode version is (IMHO) more
important for the enterprise clients.

> If you were to request priority to be given to tui-izing the
> system-config* tools, what would the order be?

Disk and device management (see EVMS for a good example of doing the UI
right)
Network management
User management (local, LDAP, Kerberos, NIS/NIS+ in that order)
Package and software version control management (see Debian aptitude for a
good example)
Option settings (see /etc/sysconfig stuff in YaST for a pretty good example)