From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of van
Sleeuwen, Berry
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:11 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Recover a root disk

Hello list,

Last night we had to recover the root disk of one of our SLES9 machines.
For some unknown reason part of the root disk has disappeared. In the
end we have restored the disk from our backups but we still have no idea
why this had happend. It looks like someone has removed selected files
or directories. Some directories are stil available, such as /bin or
/boot but other have been partially or entirly removed. /etc contains
some 40 files, var/log is gone, /var/spool still exists.

Would it be possible to recover the data from the disk? Are there any
tools available that can analyze and/or recover files? For instance the
/var/log has vanished so if we could recover that perhaps it would give
us some clue as to what happend.

Do you have any thoughts as to why a part of a filesystem can just
disappear?

With kind regards,

Berry van Sleeuwen.