From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chase, John
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: z/VM and Linux on GP engines

Background:  Our warm-site machine is a z/890 in CBU configuration,
currently "maxed out" with GP engines; hence we cannot now add an IFL to
it.

A proposed z/VM / Linux POC is being delayed because an "IBM rep"
apparently told one of our decision-makers that Linux "can't run on a GP
engine", and we're not allowed to proceed unless we can show D/R
capability equivalent to our z/OS environment.

So, regarding "Linux can't run on a GP engine", would one or more of you
please affirm or refute that statement?  Expound as you deem
appropriate, but "keep it clean".  :-)

TIA,

    -jc-

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390