On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Chase, John wrote:

> Background:  Our warm-site machine is a z/890 in CBU configuration,
> currently "maxed out" with GP engines; hence we cannot now add an IFL to
> it.
>
> A proposed z/VM / Linux POC is being delayed because an "IBM rep"
> apparently told one of our decision-makers that Linux "can't run on a GP
> engine", and we're not allowed to proceed unless we can show D/R
> capability equivalent to our z/OS environment.
>
> So, regarding "Linux can't run on a GP engine", would one or more of you
> please affirm or refute that statement?  Expound as you deem
> appropriate, but "keep it clean".  :-)
>
> TIA,
>
>     -jc-

Anything that can run on an IFL can run on a GP. A GP has a "proper
superset" of all the facilities on an IFL. I.e. a GP has everything that
an IFL has, plus a few extra things needed to run z/OS and other IBM
licensed OSes.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown