From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Boyes
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 12:38 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: vm performance tool kit

On 12/8/08 12:13 PM, "Ayer, Paul W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If this is screen FCX100 (see top left corner of screen):

> It shows the four IFL type processors
> PROC    %cpu
> ----    -----
> P00      3
> P01      4
> P02      3
> P03      4

This is the average CPU utilization for each processor during the last
measurement interval.

> User Extremes showed a system
> Max %CPU 3.0
>
> So what does that tell me?

There should be a userid in that field, too. What that field tells you
in
this example is that that userid had a peak 3.0% of the available 400%
during the last interval, and that that userid used the most CPU
capacity
during the last interval.

> Now I have;
> PROC    %CPU
> ----    -----
> P00       83
> P01       83
> P02       83
> P03       81
>
> User Extreme now shows a system that has
> Max %CPU 263

OK. So the physical CPU units are averaging about 80% each (the
breakdown of
how much is system, how much is user is the remainder of each line, see
%SYS
and %SP, etc). The userid listed in the User Extreme Max CPU% is using a
peak 263% of the 400% available across all 4 CPUs. We don't know what it
was
doing during that period from that screen, but it's using about 2.6
processors worth of work.