The best place to "fix" this is in the system you're using as a source for
the clone. What good is cloning, if, after every clone, you have to go in
and make hand modifications?

Change your source system to use by-path. Then you won't have a problem with
any of the clones. And, since you're just cloning, and can't get through the
second boot, scratch this clone and recreate it with the corrected source.

It's not worth fighting, when you need to fix the source system anyway.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\