Terry Spaulding wrote:
David replied:

The printers do not have to support IPP at all. That's why you define the
printers to the *CUPS server* as LPR printers, not have the clients bypass
the CUPS server and talk to the printers directly, which (unless I'm
missing
something entirely) is what the setup you're describing seems to do.

The Win/XP are printing to the SAMBA server directly not to the printers.
Sorry I was not clear about that.

I thought that when you create the printer on the desktop that IPP was the
preferred way to define the printer on
Windows when setting it up to print to SAMBA/CUPS.

I should be defining them as an LPR setup on Windows when setting up to
print to SAMBA/CUPS ?

On the authentication we did not implement any of the SAMBA security. Only
the SAMBA and CUPS admin user
ids were implemented. We are trying to set this up as a very simple
SAMBA/CUPS setup not requiring us to define
everyone's userids in order to print to SAMBA.

I will have to look into the wind bind access to AD to see if there are any
problems there.

The cupsadm user id is the same admin userid on SAMBA and CUPS in the
ntadmin group.

If I could use the existing windows server setup to auto setup install the
printer driver on the Win/XP desktop and
create the printer on the Win/XP desktop I would I think prefer to try that
as all the printers and drivers are on a
windows server today. We are only testing/experimenting with a small number
of printers  on SAMBA/CUPS.

Where I work (a small shop, by any standards), we have several printers.
Some talk ipp, some have sockets on port 9100 and (maybe) some do lpd.

Whatever the printers do, we set up a Linux server to print to them.

Linux just finds them on the printer server. Recently, OS X does too,
one just has to look a little harder.

We don't have enough Windows boxes (mostly, just one that's relevant) to
do anything automatic with, I configure them manually to print using
http to the Linux server. Probably, SAMBA is a better way to go. In our
setup, Windows does need the driver; CUPS serves PPDs to anyone that
asks, but Windows doesn't ask.

I've noticed OS X integration has improved since Apple bought CUPS.

Only the Linux print server prints directly to the printers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait