From: Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Little, Chris
Sent: Thu 12/18/2008 11:49 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Converting Oracle databases to run on Linux for
System z

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
David Boyes
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:36 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Converting Oracle databases to run on Linux
for System z

On 12/18/08 11:29 AM, "Little, Chris" <chris.lit...@okdhs.org> wrote:

>> You _can_ do an online export of a database.  Don't expect the data
>> be reliable, though.  But we tested exports on our production systems
>> without, you know, impacting production.  Always a "good thing"(tm).
>
> Indeed. RMAN is supposed to have some Extra Magick (trademark) that
keeps it
> consistent for backup use, though. So far, we seem to have sufficient
> supplies of Magick that it's worked reliably for us.

Yeah.  We RMAN/TSM/TDP/(insert any other desired TLA here) for
production backups.  I can say for certain to any hesitant DBAs that it
works.  We use it to clone databases (like hardware, of course), and
have had to use it to recover production once.

And our DBAs also were initially hesitant about it....