On Monday, 01/19/2009 at 10:04 EST, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> > I am playing around with z/VM V5R3 Eval Edition which now IPLs under
> > Hercules 3.06.
>
> Umm, not to damp the fun here, but I don't think this is a permitted use
of
> the Eval Edition code. Has anyone checked with IBM?

One of the Usage Restrictions in the license agreement:

"z/VM Version 5 Release 3 Evaluation Edition operates on the IBM System
z10 Enterprise Class (z10 EC) and IBM System z10 Business Class (z10 BC).
The Program requires hardware that implements the IBM 64-bit
z/Architecture in order to execute properly and therefore You are not
authorized to install or use this Program on any machine that does not
properly implement 64-bit z/Architecture. For information about specific
z/VM machine requirements and programming requirements, see the z/VM:
General Information manual, GC24-6095."

There is the interesting phrase "properly implement."  As a scientist,
technical professional, and industry veteran, I do not believe that I
could legitimately claim to "properly implement" *any* piece of machinery
for which the complete specifications and verification tools are not
published.  If I cannot verify proper implementation, then authorization
does not exist.

>From the Hercules entry in Wikipedia:
"Newer operating systems, such as OS/390, z/OS, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, VM/ESA,
and z/VM will run, but cannot legally be used except in very limited
circumstances for license reasons."

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott