If your new Linux is a SLES, it have a function to format a number of disks
simultaneously, in parallel mode, during the installation process. Very
useful.
Or, what I did:  I have a pool of VM machines to do it. One DDR0 (master)
and 30 DDR(1-30) slaves, that format dasd (ICKDSF) simultaneously. I run
about 10 by time, to prevent I/O queue problems.
Regards, Clovis.

             "Bauer, Bobby
             (NIH/CIT) [E]"
             <baue...@mail.nih                                          To
             .gov>                     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             Sent by: Linux on                                          cc
             390 Port
             <linux-...@vm.mar                                     Subject
             IST.EDU>                  Formatting 60 mod9s

             04/02/2009 12:18

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <linux-...@vm.mar
                 IST.EDU>

I need to format 60 339-9 for use with a new Linux guest. Up to now out
guest have used a LOT less and I would attach them to a current Linux and
format them with dasdfmt. 60 volumes will take a long time unless there is
a quicker way that I don't know about.

Thanks
Bobby Bauer
Center for Information Technology