Hello list!

I try to move all logical volumes which reside on a minidisk
(/dev/dasdd1) on DASD MOD9 to a minidisk (/dev/dasde1) on DASD MOD54.
"/" and "/boot" reside on separate minidisks, the rest is LVM managed.

I can reproduce the problem with a test system:
zlinux:~ # df -h
/dev/dasdc1           879M  113M  767M  13% /
udev                  247M  108K  247M   1% /dev
/dev/dasdb1            45M   13M   30M  31% /boot
/dev/mapper/system-lvhome
                      492M   33M  460M   7% /home
/dev/mapper/system-lvopt
                      656M   35M  622M   6% /opt
/dev/mapper/system-lvtmp
                      368M   33M  336M   9% /tmp
/dev/mapper/system-lvusr
                      1.2G  563M  606M  49% /usr
/dev/mapper/system-lvvar
                      876M   81M  796M  10% /var
zlinux:~ # pvscan
  PV /dev/dasdd1   VG system   lvm2 [4.57 GB / 1.09 GB free]
  PV /dev/dasde1   VG system   lvm2 [4.80 GB / 4.80 GB free]

zlinux:~ # pvmove -v /dev/dasdd1
    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
    Finding volume group "system"
    Archiving volume group "system" metadata (seqno 7).
    Creating logical volume pvmove0
    Executing: /sbin/modprobe dm-mirror
    Moving 292 extents of logical volume system/lvusr
    Moving 219 extents of logical volume system/lvvar
    Moving 164 extents of logical volume system/lvopt
    Moving 123 extents of logical volume system/lvhome
    Moving 92 extents of logical volume system/lvtmp
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Updating volume group metadata
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/system" (seqno 8).
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvusr (253:0)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvvar (253:1)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvopt (253:2)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvhome (253:3)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvtmp (253:4)
    Found volume group "system"
    Creating system-pvmove0
    Resuming system-pvmove0 (253:5)
  system-pvmove0: device not found
    Found volume group "system"
    Suppressed system-pvmove0 identical table reload.
    Resuming system-lvusr (253:0)
    Found volume group "system"
    Suppressed system-pvmove0 identical table reload.
    Resuming system-lvvar (253:1)
    Found volume group "system"
    Suppressed system-pvmove0 identical table reload.
    Resuming system-lvopt (253:2)
    Found volume group "system"
    Suppressed system-pvmove0 identical table reload.
    Resuming system-lvhome (253:3)
    Found volume group "system"
    Suppressed system-pvmove0 identical table reload.
    Resuming system-lvtmp (253:4)
    Checking progress every 15 seconds
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 5.5%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 10.8%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 16.1%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 21.3%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 26.5%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 31.9%
  /dev/dasdd1: Moved: 32.8%
    Updating volume group metadata
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/system" (seqno 9).
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvusr (253:0)
    Suspending system-pvmove0 (253:5)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvvar (253:1)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvopt (253:2)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvhome (253:3)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Suspending system-lvtmp (253:4)
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Found volume group "system"
    Resuming system-pvmove0 (253:5)
(here the output stops)

Now the system freezes slowly: sshd still gives a login-prompt, but if
I enter the password no login is possible. Other open ssh sessions
freeze are working until I enter a command. After a few minutes sshd
doesn't answer any more. If I reboot the system it doesn't comes up,
because the pvmove is restartet during the boot and the system freezes
again.

I can rescue the system with a few steps: IPL into CMS, detach a LVM
managed minidisk, boot the guest which doesn't comes up ("Give root
password to login"), edit the fstab with "ed" and delete all mounts
with LVM volumes, attach the minidisk again and reboot. The system
comes up and pvmove starts to work again: "(lvm2copyd)    -a y" After
pvmove is ready I replace the fstab with its original and reboot.
Voila, here we go again.

But I want to move my productional systems without a big downtime. Any ideas?

System info:
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
zlinux:~ # SPident
CONCLUSION: System is up-to-date!