On Wednesday, 02/11/2009 at 04:06 EST, "rapp0...@googlemail.com"
<rapp0...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You mention creating two DVD's, and IPLing from the DVD reader within
the
> HMC - do you mean IPL'ing from the DVD directly?
> I do not think that that is possible, because we need to specify an MVS
> device address in the Activation Profile.

You can IPL any LPAR from DVD, and you can specify the DVD in the
activation profile if you want it to IPL from DVD every time.  (Such as is
done on a z10 with the z/VM Evaluation Edition.)

> Would it be true to say that I *must* burn the SLES DVD with a linux DVD
> burner?

If you're burning from an .iso file, no.  The .iso file is a raw
uncompressed image that doesn't care about the organization of the media
contents, so it can contain an ISO 9660 or ISO 13346 (UDF) disk image. The
capabilities of the system that is burning or creating the .iso file
doesn't matter.

Actually accessing the *content* of the newly-burned media is an equine
that radiates energy at a different wavelength.

If the DVD is in UDF format, I would expect Windows XP or Vista to be able
to read it and follow the hard/soft links, as it is part of the UDF
standard.  If the DVD contains a UDF "bridge" to ISO 9660, then Windows
probably won't follow the links since Windows' support for ISO 9660 does
not include the "Rock Ridge extensions" that hold the POSIX data.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott