Very cool, thanks... I think that will make your tool extremely
powerful.

> > Can anyone explain the logic in the default > HOTPLUG/HOTUNPLUG
rules?

SNIP

> All in all, a hotplug rule is executed (a cpu is activated)
> if the load average is greater than the number of active cpus
> + 0.75 *and* the idle percentage of the system is below 10
> percent. Since all the values are evaluated and in the end
> the result of the rule is true or false the order of the
> separate values in this example is not important.

SNIP

> During some tests we conducted this rule set seemed to work
> best on a general purpose installation. You have to keep in
> mind that you probably have to run a lot of tests to find the
> perfect rule setup for your workload.

I should probably not have used the word "logic" - I _do_ understand
this rule principle, which I find very intuitive, simple and yet very
strong. I was more the specific calculations: why exactly use 0.75 and
compare loadavg with the number of CPU. Now I understand it based on
your tests, which of course is perfectly legitimate.

> I'm not sure about Perfkit but IMHO CP does not care about
> the dynamic guest size since this is handled between the
> resource monitor and the guest operating system.

As long VM knows, that the pages in the CMM pool are free and starts
using them - VM basically knows enough, yes. But for a performance
analyst point of view, it would be rather nice to know how the
individual guests behave. Especially when cpuplugd is in play instead of
VMRM...

Have a nice weekend and thanks,

Klaus
KMD A/S, Lautrupparken 40-42, DK-2750 Ballerup, CVR-nr. 26911745

KMD er medlem af IT-Branchen og Dansk Erhverv samt anmeldt til Datatilsynet som
edb-servicevirksomhed. KMD er certificeret i henhold til ISO 9001:2000, med
Dansk Standard som certificerende organ og er desuden Microsoft Gold Certified
Partner og Certificeret SAP Hosting Center.

www.kmd.dk   www.kundenet.kmd.dk   www.e-Boks.dk    www.organisator.dk
www.kmdinternational.com

Hvis du har modtaget denne e-mail ved en fejl, bedes du venligst give mig
besked herom og slette den.
If you received this e-mail by mistake, please notify me and delete it. Thank
you.