On 2/18/09 2:23 PM, "Mark Post" <mp...@novell.com> wrote:

> When the DASD driver initializes, particularly in an LPAR, which devices do
> you want it to pay attention to?  Unlike most distributed systems, an LPAR can
> be set up to "see" all the devices that are attached to the box.  Those
> devices can come and go rather dynamically.  For Linux, this presents a
> problem, since device names until just recently, were assigned based on the
> order in which they were detected, or in the order specified in the DASD
> driver parameters.

Doesn't udev give us a way to cope with that now?

> Additionally, you don't _want_ Linux to try to look at all the devices out
> there.  In some shops, it can take forever for Linux to come up because it's
> trying to interrogate thousands of devices to figure out what they are.  After
> that, a simple mistake by someone running as root could wipe out a DASD volume
> that doesn't really have anything to do with Linux.

I'd argue that that's pilot error. The code is doing exactly what it was
told; it's counting what is present. Since best practice is that unnecessary
stuff is NOT in the LPAR definition, solution is clear.

> You can overcome some of this by telling the kernel to ignore ranges of device
> numbers.  That value gets stored in the boot parms, which are written out by
> zipl.  (There's no equivalent to grub that will read a parm file at boot
> time.)  So, if your I/O config changes, you still need to re-run zipl.

Time to produce a SALIPL or DCSS compatible version of the grub loader or
the netboot code....

Hmm. One could argue that CMS fills that role under VM. I wonder if we could
write a module that was kind of like the Intel 'linload' tool. Would fix
most of the cases, and a SALIPL version that could handle the LPAR crowd
would take a bit longer.