On 2/11/09 2:31 PM, "Gary Detro" <de...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use zLinux to run a rexx program on another machine in my z/VM
> 5.4 system.    I am thinking about using SETSECUSER and the CP SEND commands
> to be executed from HCP utility in a zLinux guest.   Has anyone done anything
> in this environment.  What is behind this question is that we use SSH to have
> zLinux execute scripts that get kicked off from a web-browser as a form of
> automation.

One way to give Linux the ability to drive a VM session is to  enable
linemode telnet on a separate TCPIP stack connected only to a private guest
LAN inside the box and use the Linux 'expect' utility. That will give you
much better control over how the Linux guest reacts to problems, it's
interactive (you can even drive XEDIT), and it's very easy to parse. REXEC
would work, but has some problems. You could also use RPCs or the SMAPI API.

I think in the long run, using the SMAPI API might give you the most stable
method. It would give you a well supported fixed API that you can extend in
a well defined way. Jack Woehr's pigiron code gives you a nice little
linemode client you can use to drive the SMAPI interfaces from the command
line.