From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Scott Rohling
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 9:31 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Why does one need to mkinitrd/zipl ? (WAS :
Broken logical volume group)

Good point..  I've always advised giving ranges in modprobe.conf and
allowing for growth so you don't have to worry about initrd in most
cases.
Also - use the ranges as an indicator of what's there..   example:

100     --   /boot
101-110 --  swap
120-130 --      OS disks ( / )  - LVMs for the base OS
200-21F    --   Application code LVMs, config, etc (often mounted /opt)
300-31F    --   Data  (database LVMs, whatever)

Things often don't break down in such clean lines - but you get the
idea.
One advantage is that if you are dealing with LVMs -- and need to do
some
recovery -- you know by the ranges which disks you'll need to get to
make
sure you have all the disks for the Linux system LVMs you're trying to
fix.

I'm sure there are similar schemes buried in the archives, too   ;-)

Scott

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Hall, Ken (GTS) <ken_h...@ml.com>
wrote:

> If this was covered in previous notes, sorry, but I didn't see it, and
> I've been out for a few days so I didn't get into this at the
beginning.

> In Red Hat (and probably Suse too), there's a chicken-egg problem.
The
> DASD driver gets its list of valid devices from a parm that's passed
> the driver in /etc/modprobe.conf.  But at the time the module is
loaded,
> the running root filesystem is the initrd.  The regular root
filesystem
> can't be mounted till AFTER the dasd driver is loaded.  You only need
> make the initrd if you change the list of devices.
>
> We coded a list of placeholder device numbers in our base
configuration
> going out to dasdzz, so we don't have to fiddle going forward.  Note
> that this list is ONLY devices that are visible automatically at boot
> time, and reserves the device node assignments for them.  Additional
> devices outside the range can be added later via attach and chccwdev,
> and device nodes will be built starting after the list built from the
> parameter.  (i.e., if modprobe.conf contains 100-10F, that reserves
> dasda-dasdp, even if some of them don't exist, and the first
dynamically
> added disk will be dasdq.)
>
> As far as bare metal goes, we did try some tests in a bare LPAR, and
it
> works fine with thousands of devices visible, but it takes a LONG time
> to scan them all.  Also, at the time we tested, there was some quirk
> with coding the actual devices in modprobe.conf, and filtering that
way
> caused the system to hang coming up.  It might have been an error in
> configuration somewhere, we were on a schedule, so we simply removed
the
> filter, and brought it up seeing all devices.

Not
> FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a
Bank
> Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are
Not