John McKown wrote:
Is there any email MUA package that I can load which will deliver email
directly to an MS Exchange server without a local MTA? This is on a RHEL
server. The closest that I can find is Alpine, but I cannot figure out how
to totally automate it. What I want is simple:

echo "some line of information" | \
email-client -s "Subject of email" u...@myexchange.com

And POOF! off it goes to the Exchange server. As I said, Alpine is close
in that it will send directly to Exchange without an MTA running. But I
can't figure out how to "script" it so that it can run via a cron entry.

mailx and mutt will only work if I start up an MTA such as sendmail
because they'll only connect to "localhost". I don't really want to bother
doing all that. Yeah - I'm lazy. I've done it in the past at home and
still have "The Bat Book", so I'll do it if I must. <frown>

mail calls sendmail directly. I don't think sendmail actually has to be
running, unless you want recovery.

One does not have to have sendmail receiving mail from off-host, it's
handy to have to send mail from the system using any arbitrary mailer.

"sendmail" means any MTA with a sendmail binary.

There may be some perl module that will help you out.

netcat can do it, but with no recovery if something goes wrong. With
some effort, it could be hardened and scripted.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait