Mark D Vandale wrote:
So the 2 preceding // before ipaddress is required for smbfs,  we missed
that....   I have 2 other  lines prior to this one for nfs areas with no
preceding // and they work.  I did add these // and rebooted, it did work.
Thanks !

DOS-family networking (netware too I think) uses the UNC convention:
\\<servername>\<sharename>[\path]

Various parts of *X (including shells) escape characters, using the "\"
as the key to flag when escaping is intended, so one has to type "\\" to
mean "\".

Sometimes, escaping can be done more than once.

To avoid this, Samba and attendant software allows "/" to be used
interchangeably, in UNC filesystem names.

Apart from syntax checkers, OS/2 (and I think Windows) also allows "/"
to mean "\" in filesystem names.

--

Cheers
John