From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu]on Behalf Of
Dodds, Jim
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 2:21 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Old IBM Mainframe - Still Useful?

"It's just a PC we can buy another, you know PCs are cheap.  Hell they
are running Windows we can just hire college grads that will save us a
bundle of money on staff. As for reliability everyone else is buying one
do you think that if it didn't work they would buy it" says the pointy
haired boss.

Those are all good points Henry, and we have informed management but
they think this is the best way to go. What else can I say, the vendor
tells them that 100s to 1000s of universities that use their product use
windows servers and they work beautifully. Hell as part of the deal the
vendor will set it up for you and they will document for your staff when
we turn it over to them. Of course if problems come up that your staff
cant resolve, they can provide service to resolve for you of course for
a price tag.

Jim Dodds
Systems Programmer
Kentucky State University