From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Martin, Larry D
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:53 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: SUSE on Native LPAR

I am very new to Linux and am trying to install Linux on an LAPR on a
z9BC.

I can load the initial Kernel by putting the CD (CD1) into the CD-ROM
drive on the HMC and perform a Lad from CD.

After setting up the network the Linux kernel wants to read the rest of
CD1.  If I tell him to use the HMC CD-ROM the response is "Unable to
load" (not an exact quote).

I have tried to use NFS on a desktop which has SUSE 10 installed (about
a year ago).  I get a error saying the request was rejected error = -1.

I have also tried using SMB to point to the CD reader on my Windows
desktop and get the same response as above (both of these take a few
minutes to return).

Can someone who has done this give me an idea as to what I am doing
wrong?

Thanks,   .........Larry

Ps. Small shop - no money - VM not an option.

Larry D. Martin

Mainframe Systems Support

Office of Information Technology and Communications

301.883.7335

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George's
County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit Court
proprietary information, which is privileged and confidential. This
E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments
to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any
printout.