From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Rob van
der Heij
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:43 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: swappiness & drop_caches ?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Ayer, Paul W <pwa...@statestreet.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has some input (good, bad, warnings  ...) or
> has had to used the following two items .... we are running VM5.4 and
> RHEL4.x and 5.x sles 9 and 10 systems
>

> 1)      Setting swappiness to other than the default of 60 ?
>
>                 Echo nn > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

This really is a "desktop thingy" but may turn out useful for us as
well. It defines an amount of page cache to retain even when that
means Linux would need to swap things. You would want it large enough
to hold relevant program binaries and shared libraries, etc.
The nasty part is that it is expressed as a percentage of total memory
resources rather than a fixed amount. So you need to come up with a
right setting each time you change the virtual machine size.
In theory, for largish virtual machines you would want to lower the
swappiness. However, when the application does shared memory that
lives in page cache (for example the Oracle SGA) then you want to make
sure you also leave room for that. Setting it too low will not leave
room for the good stuff.

> 2)      dropping caches ?
>

>                Echo 1 or 2 or 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

The Linux server died when the customer tried this. I told him it
should return after completion, but did not in 5 minutes. Does that
count as bad? ;-)

Obviously, if it works well then this is just temporary relief. Linux
will immediately start to load stuff in page cache again. The other
problem is that z/VM is not aware that the pages have been freed and
will be re-used, so they will still be backed by z/VM real page frames
or paging space. And by just touching and re-arrange of the pages you
may actually make things worse.
Instead, you could use CMM-1 and inflate the balloon by the amount
that you want to drop from the cache. It will use the same criteria to
select pages, but this time it *will* tell z/VM to drop the
corresponding real storage. Although the amount may be a bit harder to
determine, the advantage is that you don't disturb the usage patterns
of the portion that you want to retain.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij